Monday, August 6, 2012

Speechable

Speechable (http://www.en.speechable.com/) is a Web 2.0 resource that allows users to add text an already existing picture.  There is a similar site that allows you to add audio (see my post about Blabberize here).
Speechable allows you to add a speech or thought bubble to an image that is saved to your PC or from a website. You do not need an account to create one. The site was having technical difficulties when I created my picture, so instead of being able to send it to myself I did a screen clipping of the picture and saved it to my computer.
So the next step is "How do I use this resource effectively in the classroom?" Here are a couple ideas:
1. Have students create a poster for the classroom with a key phrase that they use in class like "¿Puedo ir al baño?", "No entiendo," "¿Puedo tomar agua?" and "No tengo la tarea." They would have to take a picture that would connect with the phrase. Hang in the classroom. You could do the same for idiomatic expressions.
2. Have students create a comic strip of sorts using their original photos.
3. Create my own photos and introduce vocabulary using the photos with the speech bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment