Monday, August 6, 2012

Web 2.0 Tips

Two years ago was my first year teaching in a 1:1 Tablet PC environment. By no means am I an expert, but I have learned a lot since 2010. Each year I have added new activities and fanciness to my lessons, and this year I have plans for more. One of my goals is use more Web 2.0. For the longest time I wondered what Web 2.0 actually is. It was a buzz word I heard going around, so finally I looked it up. Web 2.0 is "the internet viewed as a medium in which interactive experience, in the form of blogs, wikis, forums, etc, plays a more important role than simply accessing information" (according to www.dictionary.com). Web 1.0 is simply looking for information. Web 2.0 is more interaction.  (There is Web 3.0, but I'm not there yet!)

Because Web 2.0 is fairly new, there tend to be technological glitches in what little experience I have with it. I'm sure I will add to these tips at the year goes on, but here are a few tips:

1. Be patient and understanding with any problems students face.
2. Be flexible with deducting points for work that is late for students that are having tech issues.
3. I prefer to use Web 2.0 sites that do not require a login, especially if we are only going to use the site once or twice.
4. Always familiarize yourself with the site and do what you are going to ask your students to do in advance.
5. Show students what you created with the website so they can see how it works.
6. Provide step-by-step instructions of how to use the website (especially with younger students with little experience with technology).

I have links to several Web 2.0 sites on the sidebar of this blog. Happy webbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment