Friday, April 22, 2011

Food presentations

This quarter I tried something new for an extra graded assignment. I gave students the opportunity to make one authentic food from Spain or Latin America. Each student presents the food at the beginning of class. I was a little worried, but so far the recipes have been impressive. The only requirements for the assignment are that they must talk about how they made the food and the country from where the food originates. The food should also be homemade, and they have to clear the food with me first. It only takes about 5 minutes at the beginning of class, and I think the students enjoy something different for fourth quarter. I also think it gives students an opportunity to try foods that they normally wouldn't touch in a real-life setting.

Here are some of the recipes students have prepared:
Magdalenas from Spain
Rice pudding from Spain and Latin America
Mexican Wedding Cookies
Spanish Wedding Cookies
Patatas Bravas
Nutilla
Empanadas
Home-made chips and salsa (which I would normally not allow but it was a family recipe)

In the future, I would require that students not repeat a recipe and that they write a short report about the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment