Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Twitter in the Classroom

I have been a Twitter follower for almost 3 years, but it wasn't until the 2010 Winter Olympics that I became a daily follower. Note that I say "follower" and not "tweeter." I really use Twitter as a news source and as a way to follow the lives of celebrities that intrigue me, including those that speak Spanish. In the last two years, I have only used Twitter in the classroom by showing students interesting tweets in Spanish from celebrities. For example, Maite Perroni (Mexican soap star) tweeted a simple quote: "La perfeccion de lo imperfecto." My Spanish 1 students don't yet know "lo," but they can understand the sentiment. One student translated it as "Perfectly imperfect," which wasn't an exact translation, but she understood the basic gist of the tweet. Another example was a meme that Sergio Ramos (soccer player for Real Madrid) tweeted. It, of course, had his picture with the crests of Real Madrid vs. whatever team they were playing that night. It also had the date and the game time. I don't remember exactly what the date and time were, but let's say it was 12 / 3 / 2012, 18:00. I asked my students what it meant, and most of my classes figured it out if they didn't already know how to read dates and times European style.
With the new school year coming up I decided to up my game with Twitter. I created a professional teacher Twitter account (SraUshupun), and I intend to tweet information I would want my students to know, like The Top Ten Reasons to Study Spanish and a NY Times article "Why Bilinguals are Smarter."  The only people I am following are Spanish speakers and new sources in Spanish (like El Pais and CNN Espanol).
I am not going to make Twitter a "must" for my students, but I want my classes to make those connections with the greater Spanish-speaking world. The first day of class I am going to ask my students how many of them are on Twitter (I am really curious to find out a percentage), and I will share my Twitter name with the students and with their parents on Meet the Teacher night so they can connect with the classroom. I am sure I will update with more ideas as the year continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment